Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fresh Manna | ...and where thieves break in and steal |

I woke up to a voicemail from 1:30 am. My neighbor had called to tell us the car alarm was going off in our driveway. When I heard the message, I told Owen someone's tried to break into the cars. We went out and the window farthest from the house had been busted out. They broke the little window so that they could reach in to unlock the car and that window would make the least amount of noise when broken.

They broke in trying to get the tools we've been using to renovate the Lincoln Village house but the car alarm scared them off before they got them out. Luckily, we have all the tools! Unfortunately, we've got a lovely broken window. It was humbling to see shattered glass on the bible in the backseat of the car and made me think of this scripture...

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal." Matthew 6:19


It also made me thankful that my family slept safe and sound while God protected us. In fact, I'm not even worried about moving to The Bridge. My car can get broken into in our safe, little, South Parkway neighborhood. It reminded me that I need God's provisions no matter where I live.

2 comments:

  1. Needed this today, for so many reasons. My idol is security and safety which is really just an illusion. God just seems to be slapping me with it lately. Julie Potts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teach on Crazy Life! This is a wonderful real life application of a great teaching and it certainly helps me put things in perspective, especially when I consider the foot-stomping I would probably have allowed myself to greet that little surprise with. Love you guys... Lead on!

    ReplyDelete