Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Smart Little Nugget

Maddie who is also known as the "Drama Queen" in the family has had the flu since Sunday. Now that the fever has subsided, today she claims that the aches in her legs so severe that she cannot walk and must crawl around the house on her knees. (I know you are feeling sorry for her but trust me, it is all a front! Her legs move more by crawling than if she just stood up and walked. I'm not saying that they aren't a little sore . . . but come on already.) Being the wise parent that I am, I tell her that if she is THAT BAD we will have to go back to the doctor and they will take blood work to make sure there is not something more going on. I thought this would surly do the trick and the drama would end . . . but she continued to crawl around on her knees.

Since that didn’t work, I called the doctor to make sure I wasn’t being an overly insensitive parent and the nurse confirmed my suspicions . . . "sounds like she is faking it."

After crawling around for several more hours on her knees, I thought I would show her what real drama looks like . . . when tucking her in for a nap she says with a smile "Mom, what happens if my legs always hurt." I replied, "Well, I guess they will have to amputate and you'll be riding around in a wheelchair." The smart Little Nugget smiles at me and says "Why can't I just get the wheelchair and ride around and get to keep my legs." I replied "Just to make sure you're not faking" and the Little Nugget just grinned up at me and giggled!

1 comment: